This is the 3rd Generation of the original and is designed to work with Amazon Alexa.
The first generation of this intelligent gadget hit the market in 2011/2012 and was an instant success. Google, knowing a good thing when they see it, bought the Nest Company. The already great product has since gone from strength to strength and is the leading product in its class.
Smart homes are on the increase and for good reason. Smart devices provide convenience, efficiency, information and even a bit of luxury to our lives. Some smart devices, such as the Nest Learning Thermostat even offer cost-saving and eco-friendly benefits.
The thermostat has been around, pretty much unchanged for many years. They were never the most exciting objects, not very user-friendly and had no built-in intelligence. A few years back, Nest changed all of that with the smart Learning Thermostat.
We all know that resources are scarce and the future of energy is a contentious and hotly debated topic. Anything that can be done to reduce household power consumption will not only save money but be a good thing for the future of mankind. The Nest Learning Thermostat does all of that, and then some.
Features of the Nest Learning Thermostat
- Amazon Certified
- Control the Nest Thermostat with voice control using Amazon Alexa (a range of Alexa devices)
- Can communicate in English, Spanish, Dutch and French
- Integrates with Google Home works
- Connects to Wi-Fi for internet access
- Can be controlled or viewed via iOS or Android devices
- Free Nest Account
- Runs off a built-in lithium-ion battery that is rechargeable
- Display is a high-resolution color screen with 24-bit color LCD
- Stainless steel ring
- Sensors include temperature, ambient light, humidity and near and far-field activity
- Self-learning auto scheduler. Learns your preferences and adapts accordingly
- Determines when you are home or away with Home/Away Assist to automate energy saving
- The Farsight recognizes you when you approach to light up and display temperature, weather and time
- Provides detailed history of energy consumption for better understanding and saving opportunities
- Advises you on energy saving choices through Nest Leaf
- Has achieved an Energy Star rating, the first thermostat to do this
- Sleek, modern and attractive stainless steel and glass design
- Compact design at only 84 x 84 x 32mm
- Proven energy saving functionality
- Savings will pay for the unit over time
- User-friendly and easy to setup
- Efficient energy saving
- Amazing modern design
- Self-learning works well
- Full remote operation
- Works with a range of smart devices including Google Home, Alexa and IFTTT
- Easy setup and operation
- Usage history reports
- Large, easy to view display
- Far-field sensor allows it to assess temperature from a distance
- Somewhat pricey
- No individual room sensors
The features pretty much speak for themselves. The Nest Learning Thermostat does everything a smart thermostat should. Sure, it would be better with additional room sensors but the other features and advantages more than makeup for this. I have no doubt this feature will be added soon.
While it might be slightly pricey, with the immediate cost savings you will enjoy, it will soon pay for itself. Experience shows the heating bill savings are around 10 to 12% while cooling bills are around 15%. That adds up to a significant saving quite quickly.
Nest are no doubt the market leaders in smart thermostats but are in no way the only good options on the market. A good alternative is the Ecobee3 Smart Wifi Thermostat. This thermostat from Canadian company Ecobee beat the Nest to market by about two years.
Although it does not look as sleek and hi-tech as the Nest equivalent it shares many of the same features. It connects to Wi-Fi and can be controlled via an iOS or Android device. It is user-friendly and boasts a range of other features for convenience and cost savings. One advantage that is has is remote sensors outside of the main zone. This quality product is rapidly gaining on the Nest Thermostat. Price wise, there is not much difference between the two.
The Ecobee is a good smart thermostat but, for now, at least, the Nest remains the Rolls Royce of Learning Thermostats.
Any product that will save you money and therefore pay for itself is a worthy investment. Thereafter it is a pure saving every month. You can also give yourself a pat on the back for doing your bit for the environment.
The third-generation Nest Learning Thermostat has the best learning abilities so will continue to become more efficient and effective over time. Apart from the energy savings, it is also a great convenience. Coupled with other smart devices, it forms an important part of your home smart network. Again, this technology continues to evolve and improve which will only make it better.
It is a hassle-free smart appliance that will save you time and money and a very worthwhile investment for your home.